Schedule of Events
This schedule of events from the 2013 Inaugural Conference is provided as an example of the overall quality and scope of the experience offered. The 2017 specific schedule, locations, and details will be released on a future date.
Welcome to Washington, D.C.
- Program Registration
- Meet and Greet Activities
- Meet the National President of the College Democrats of America and National Chairman of the College Republican National Committee.
These national political leaders provide Inaugural Scholars with insight into their election campaign strategies and provide important and valuable information on how Inaugural Scholars can be leaders and step up for the party of their choice by taking part in Republican or Democratic political activities in their area and in school. Read More>
- Welcome Presentation
- Evening Entertainment with Music and Political Satire
Inaugural Scholars enjoy a special performance by The Capitol Steps, the Washington-based troupe of congressional staffers turned songwriters who have recorded over 30 albums and have been featured on NBC, ABC, CBS, PBS and National Public Radio. Read More >
Exploring the Presidency
- Presidential Group Meeting: Presidential Campaign Strategy – How Political Experts Use Tactics and Strategies to Run Winning Campaigns
Inaugural Scholars set out on a simulated “campaign trail” as one of the candidates from the most recent election, and take on the roles of individual campaign staff members to design and “run” a winning presidential campaign!
- Presidential Group Meeting: The Roles of the President
Inaugural Scholars explore and discover the many critical roles that are filled by the President of the United States, including Chief Executive, Commander in Chief, Political Party Leader and Diplomat.
- Keynote Speaker Presentation: Dr. Condoleezza Rice, Former U.S. Secretary of State and National Security Advisor to the President addresses Inaugural Scholars. Read More >
- Presidential Group Meeting
Debriefing the Dr. Rice Keynote presentation and Briefing All the Presidents Men
- All the President’s Men: Movie Screening & Panel Discussion
This unique activity showcases the events during one of the most tumultuous times in our nation’s political history. Through the classic and contemporary film, All the President’s Men, and a panel discussion, Inaugural Scholars explore the important role of the press in a democratic society. Read More >
All the President’s Men Panel Discussion features Washington Post reporter Bob Woodward, who broke the Watergate story, and veteran journalist, Nick Clooney (father of actor George Clooney).
History in the Making
- Exclusive early access to the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum on the National Mall prior to the Oath of Office and Inaugural Address of the President of the United States. Read More >
- Celebrate the Inauguration, Oath of Office and Inaugural Address of the President of the United States on the National Mall.
- A special viewing party and celebratory luncheon with the Presidential trivia and prizes where Inaugural Scholars watch on large viewing screens as the President and Vice President’s motorcade travels from the United States Capitol Building down Pennsylvania Avenue to the White House.
- Presidential Group Meeting: Discussing the Inauguration & Exploring the President’s Cabinet
Inaugural Scholars discover the key roles that each member of the president’s staff plays (Press Secretary, Speech Writer, Social Media Director, Finance Director, Policy Advisors and others).
- Inauguration Evening Concert
Inaugural Scholars enjoy an exclusive, private concert with special guest, Allstar Weekend, one of the most promising young bands touring America and the United Kingdom today. Scholars can showcase their own personal musical talent at this event in our very own karaoke lounge! Our live concert, featuring lounge seating and concession stands with Inaugural concert and conference logo items, takes place at the beautiful Gaylord National Resort Hotel and Convention Center on the Potomac River. Read More >
Your Voice, Your Venue
- Presidential Group Meeting: Taking Action
Inaugural Scholars discuss issues that are important to them, their community, and their region of the country. Scholars will create an action plan for change and learn about ways to become more involved in their own communities.
- Keynote Speaker Presentation: General Wesley Clark, Former NATO Supreme Allied Commander, four-star general and Presidential Candidate addresses Inaugural Scholars. Read More >
- The Black Tie and Gown (optional) Gala Inaugural Celebration
This special event is the culmination of the Conference and takes place at the stunning National Air and Space Museum’s Steven F. Udvar- Hazy Center, home to thousands of aviation and space artifacts, including the Space Shuttle Discovery, which flew 39 successful missions to space. Inaugural Scholars can enjoy a movie on the massive IMAX screen, use flight simulators, and dance and celebrate the night away to dueling D.J.’s, exclusively with fellow High School Inaugural Scholars as the nation’s capital buzzes with excitement. Read More >
- Presidential Group Meeting: Final Farewell
- Commencement of the Program